- help children to value the creative thinking process. At Little Earth School we prepare our students to enter a diverse and ever-changing world. As children acquire knowledge and skills, they are able to use what they’ve learned to understand multiple perspectives and to be self-reliant problem solvers.
- understand that children learn by doing. Hands-on experiences are the backbone of our curriculum. Children are active learners who participate daily in meaningful work.
- honor all learning styles. We treat every child as a valued individual with his or her own unique way of learning. The different strengths of each child are valued and used as a way to inform our teaching and curriculum.
- guide and support children in their independence. Within a safe learning environment, children can test what they’ve learned in relevant and concrete situations. As boundaries expand and freedom increases, teachers encourage students to set goals for themselves and develop self-discipline and responsibility. Meeting goals and accomplishing tasks independently gives children a sense of confidence and self-esteem.
- use the arts to enrich every aspect of our curriculum. Little Earth School’s curriculum is rich in a tradition of performing arts, music, visual arts, dance and storytelling.
- provide an environment where children can bring their whole selves to school. Our school is a reflection of a diverse community in which we are all respected members. Every child is encouraged to share his or her experiences and traditions.
- work together. In the classroom and on the playground communication and collaboration are taught and practiced. Children learn to resolve conflicts through listening and talking, and in doing so, increase their understanding of themselves and others.
- encourage children’s curiosity and initiative. It is our belief that children’s desire to learn starts with their questions and interests. Our planned instruction makes room for the sparks of enthusiasm and insight that come from each unique group of students.
- extend our classroom beyond the school itself. Children’s learning does not stop when they walk out of their school’s classrooms. We create many organized learning situations outside on the playground, as well as on field trips and overnight camping experiences. We help children to value and enjoy the natural world.
Little Earth School • 321 West Zia Road Santa Fe, NM • 87505 505.988.1968 Email us!
Copyright © Little Earth School 2009. All Rights Reserved.